Mar 14, 2017 / Spotlight
Get to Know Our Staff: David Espinosa, Social Worker
The social workers at Scottish Rite Hospital focus on the well-being of patients and their families. As families find ways to work with the challenges of their children’s diagnosis and special needs, the social workers help in many ways, such as:
- Providing emotional support and empathy.
- Locating a variety of services, including supportive counseling, lodging and transportation assistance, discharge planning and referrals to community resources and programs.
- Serving as advocates and liaisons and helping to reduce stress and eliminate barriers families are experiencing.
- Available to offer support, comfort and resources so parents can focus on what truly matters, their child.
Our Social Work team consists of five social workers at our Main Campus and one social worker at our North Campus in Plano. David Espinosa, the North Campus social worker, has been with the hospital for one year.
Get to know David in our Staff Spotlight below…
What’s your favorite part of your job?
Helping remove barriers to care.
What’s your favorite thing about the hospital?
The popcorn…and my coworkers
Describe a typical day.
On a typical day, I assist with discharge planning and collaborate with the clinical staff. I speak with families about equipment vendors and therapy providers, community resources, or other needs related to care, and assess psychosocial needs. I also assist with Crayon Care enrollments at the North Campus.
What made you want to work here?
The positive atmosphere.
What career path did you take to get here?
I was a school social worker for eight years prior to coming to Scottish Rite Hospital. In that time, I also became a licensed clinical social worker, provided counseling in a private practice, and did other contract work with various agencies.
What’s your favorite…
- Place to travel: John USVI
- Type of food: Thai
- TV show: LOST
If you could have a superpower, what would it be?
What did you want to be when you grew up?
A meteorologist and paramedic
What’s the most adventurous thing you’ve ever done?
I flew a trike over Kauai.
What’s the last book you read?
Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe
What is something people don’t know about you?
I’m full of sarcasm.